Time To Declare For The Speculation and Vacancy Tax in BC

I pulled this directly from the Gov site for easy use.

Vancouver’s empty homes tax and the Government of Canada's underused housing tax are different from the speculation and vacancy tax.Ensure you know the requirements for each of these taxes.
When a property has more than one owner, each person on title for the mortgage needs to make a separate declaration, even if the other owner is your spouse or relative.Learn about what you need do if you're helping a friend or family member complete their declaration. There may be special circumstances to consider such as a deceased owner or an owner who is out of town during the declaration period.The fastest and easiest way to declare is online. If you cannot declare online, you can declare over the phone. Call us and we’ll help you complete the declaration.Translation services are available over the phone.

How to complete your B.C. speculation and vacancy tax declaration

What you need to declare

Declaring is fast and easy for most property owners.

For individuals

Before you start your declaration, you’ll need:
  • The speculation and vacancy tax declaration letter we sent you
  • Your social insurance number (SIN)
  • Your date of birth
We verify your identity with your SIN and date of birth. Your personal information is encrypted at the time of entry to ensure your information is kept secure.Your declaration letter will be sent to you at the mailing address on file with BC Assessment. Check when to expect your declaration letter so you’ll know approximately when your letter will arrive. All letters should be delivered by late February. If you have not received your letter by then, contact us.If you’ll be away or otherwise unable to receive the letter when it arrives, contact us so we can help ensure you submit your declaration on time.Your declaration letter will include the following information:
  • Your Letter ID, Declaration Code and other information you need to declare
  • A list of all the residential properties you own in the designated taxable regions
When you declare, you’ll be guided through the exemption options for each property.I received my declaration letter and want to declare online

For corporations, business partnerships & trusts

Declaring for corporations, business partnerships and trusts follows a similar process as for individuals.You’ll receive your declaration letter the same as individuals, but you’ll need to provide more information.Before you declare, be prepared with:
  • Your declaration letter
  • Your business number, if you have one
  • Your incorporation number and date of incorporation number, if applicable
  • The name, date of birth, citizenship status, social insurance number if applicable, B.C. residency for tax purposes and percentage of household income reported for each member of the corporation, business partnership or trust
I received my declaration letter and want to declare online
This information is provided for your convenience and guidance and is not a replacement for the legislation